Sunday, July 19, 2015

45th Annual Ukulele Festival - Hawaii

Sooooo excited to have the privilege to be on Oahu for the festival! What a fantastic vibe as Kapiolani park transformed into a ukulele player's dream! 



I arrived early to find lots of folks setting up: tempting food vendors, ukulele companies, Kamaka, Koaloha, Kanile'a, Kala, families putting up shade tents, folding chairs and even a few inflated air mattresses. The auntie I sat next to, on the benches in front of the bandstand, doesn't play the ukulele but she comes to this festival every year. 

I score a unique uke themed gift for my sweetie. Well, I won't be posting a photo of that now, will I!?

Those who know me well know that I would naturally buy a festival tee shirt but in this case it needed to a purple one as per the directions of Roy and Nelly who have organized the Strummer's group which I have the honour of being a part of. 




Everywhere ukuleles, people walking by carrying their ukes, ukes in cases, ukes in stands, ukes on stage, ukes resting in the shade of huge silk trees. Am I dreaming?! How can there we so many jumping fleas in one location?!


And performers...  good groups and good soloists one after another!
The Langley  Ensemble totally ripped it up!


And did I mention, this festival is free! All the performers perform for free. Aloha abounds as the ukulele infuses everyone's attitude. The organization is smooth and relaxed; performers and audience alike all having a grand day in the park together like one ohana. Not once all day did I hear anyone say 'U'kelele.  This is the birthplace of the ukulele after all so it only makes sense that it would be pronounced 'ookeleke'. 


Kids, keiki, heaps of kids played ukulele at the festival. 


The Strummers Group was comprised of over 100 of us!  We played two songs on stage with Willie K throwing some improv into the mix.  Here we are with Willie K heading us up!


Here we are 'live':  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZXktKZV7I

And you might even be able to spot me in this closer group photo:




What a ton of fun that was! We each received a participation medal as recognition of our contribution to the festival. 



And just when I thought it couldn't get any better, Jake Shimabukuro shows up on stage! The absolute best icing on the most fabulous ukulele cake ever!













No comments:

Post a Comment