Thursday, July 23, 2015

Hana Lima 'Ia - day nine

Big work day at the wood shop today!
Getting so close to finishing our instruments but, e-gads, still so many details!

We spend the first couple hours sanding...100 grit is our normal sanding paper but we go up and up from there...



And finally our ukes are smooth enough to be ready to take on a full coat of tru oil. 


And the finish is a big reward for us!


Here's our babies hanging to dry:



Every detail that we worked so hard on is starting to add up to create handsome ukuleles. 


After lunch there's no rest for the weary, we cut the string notches in the nut and we start to mount the bridge. 


It involves lots of precision. 


Finally it is clamped into place. 


The next big treat will be hearing how the instruments sound when we string them up. But that will be tomorrow's surprise. However, the workday wasn't quite over for me. Earlier when we had carefully fashioned the tracks for our strings to lie in in the nut I was a bit off on my "G" string notch which cost me an extra  hour as I had to build another nut from scratch. No accurate nut = no accurate strings. 

A tough lesson but I learned a lot from making that second nut which I'm sure will serve me well in the future given the  huge impact the nut has on the fine tuning of ukuleles. 

It was my longest work day yet but I felt a huge sense of satisfaction as I chugged back to the hostel on the trusty bus #42. 














No comments:

Post a Comment