Friday, July 10, 2015

Meeting Uke Folks

It's important to be on time when attending an important event. That's how it turns out that I was at the Kamaka factory an hour early!  

With an hour of free time before the tour began, I had a chance to wander around the neighborhood which, Fred Kamaka was to later tell us, had changed from light industry to civic offices over the years. 

Fortunately some of the businesses that have been a part of the Kamaka early days were still situated nearby.  I had a tea and toasted bagel in a family run dinner and then drifted into a little convenience store across the street. 


As the welcoming proprietor spotted my Jake Shimsbukuro tee shirt she mentioned that she was in fact a relative of his!  We had a good time chatting and she shared with me a few anecdotes about Jake's early days as a musician. 


Ttime flew the way it will when you're in interesting company and before I knew it I had to hustle out the door and hurry around the block so as not to be late for the factory tour that I had wanted to see for many years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment