Monday, July 20, 2015

Hana Lima 'Ia - day six

With the rhythms of Willie K, Jake and many others from the festival still buzzing in our heads, we launched into the second week of our ukulele course. 

Mike declared that all of us had been too conservative when it came to sanding our soundboards.  He wants them thinner for more resonance and a lower tone. So we start sanding. 

Before we're actually at that place of an intimidatingly thin soundboard we switch to working on our headstock veneers. I inlay the abalone that Chuck Moore of Moore Betha ukuleles sent to me as a gift. As I drop in the pieces I dream that just a little bit of Chuck's amazing uke making and inlay art mojo gets carried over into my new instrument. 



Now it's time to add the marker dots to our fretboards. I love the abalone circles Mike gives us and enjoy drilling the holes in which the markers will be placed. I chose to offset my fret markers based on similar designs on a few different ukes I have seen recently. 



Next it's time to learn how to cut and install fretwire into our fingerboards. Mike shows us how and we get to work. 





We attach the head plate to the headstock, attach the fingerboard to the neck and add tons of clamps then we call it a day!










No comments:

Post a Comment